"I was born with a bronze skin and I like it. Some of my friends were born white or black or yellow. They were not consulted. But that's all right. There are yellow roses, white roses, and red roses and the fragrance of one is about as nice as another." ~Chief Walking Buffalo

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Dresses Up

Sugarbear has got a thing for fashion. Is that weird for an 8 year old girl of a mom who has absolutely no clue on the subject? In support of her blossoming interest her auntie and cousin gave her a cute little binder to hold all of her sketches. She has now filled it to the brim, after selling a few for 50 cents here, $1 there. Cherish them Nana, she says, because when she starts to make these dresses, they are going to cost a lot more!
I can't help but look at her with wonder about what life will bring her. Will any of this stick? Or is this just a passing fancy? She wants to learn how to sew, but I am terrible at any arts and crafts. She wants to learn to knit as well. My grandma taught me that when I was little. I think we can tackle this together. We bought her a book and some yarn and we will see how this pans out.
She has seen the empty shop on the main street downtown. She has been telling Daddy how she could rent that space to sell her dresses and things. Her cousin 'O' decidedly agrees. I overheard them chatting in the back on the van "if you open a store like that, they will come running through your doors!" I think perhaps we should put 'O' will be in charge of marketing!
She has sketched and named it already. "Dresses Up" What an awesome name - she came up with it and sketched it into her binder when she was in time out. At least she is making use of her time!
I wonder if her life will fulfill this budding interest. Of course, as her mom, imagining the possibility to its fullest, I have already planned her sewing lessons when she is 12, design school after her business degree, and it's going to be great to not have to shop anymore, with my daughter able to make all of my clothes...

No comments:

Post a Comment