"I was born with a bronze skin and I like it. Some of my friends were born white or black or yellow. They were not consulted. But that's all right. There are yellow roses, white roses, and red roses and the fragrance of one is about as nice as another." ~Chief Walking Buffalo

Saturday, November 6, 2010

From the mouths of babes

The other day at school I brought cake to Dee's class for her to share in celebration of her turning 4.

In the car on the way home she let me know that everyone loved the cake and they all said thank you to her for bringing it. I said "that was nice that they all loved it and said thank you! How did it make you feel?" she contemplated this for just a moment, and then muttered with a smile "it made me feel kind of hot and all wobbly when they said that to me"...

Could there possibly be a more innocent way to express that feeling of being appreciated (and possibly a bit embarrassed) at having done something nice for someone else? Straight out to the mouth of a 4 year old...there is definitely something to be said for having limited means and vocab to express yourself, and yet she was still able to do it so well!

So precious....

No comments:

Post a Comment