"I was born with a bronze skin and I like it. Some of my friends were born white or black or yellow. They were not consulted. But that's all right. There are yellow roses, white roses, and red roses and the fragrance of one is about as nice as another." ~Chief Walking Buffalo

Saturday, January 24, 2009

Partners in the Horn of Africa

In my search for a good charity in Ethiopia, I stumbled upon Partners in the Horn of Africa. It is a very worthy charity with 100% of donations going straight to their projects in Ethiopia - all operating expenses are paid personally by Partners' directors and the Columbia Foundation.

Part of what makes this charity so great are their diverse projects, that require their Ethiopian 'partners' to put up 15-20% of the project costs, usually in the form of labour. Some of my favourite projects include:

-digging wells
-homes for HIV orphans
-micro loans for women

There will be a Great Big Run for Africa this fall from West Bank to Enderby, BC, which my sis V and I are currently forming a team for and we plan to run to raise money for Partners in October.

The great thing is that I have been in contact with one of the Directors who lives in Ethiopia for half the year. There may be a chance that I can go and see Partners' projects while we are there. (I am crossing my fingers)

check out their website:

www.partnersinthehorn.org

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed it is the only thing that ever has. ~Margaret Mead

No comments:

Post a Comment